Spectracom Security FAQs
If you have a problem with the functionality of your security system, we suggest you read the answers to these frequently asked questions by our customers. Also, please refer to the literature that came with the security system you had installed. Here, you'll find answers to questions dealing with security systems in general, as well as answers to questions dealing with Guardian and its monitoring center. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please call us at 1-866-270-8700.
General Security System FAQs
How much does a security system cost?
Quite simply, it varies. Mainly because there are so many additional features and options available with today's awesome technology in the home/business security sector. For a system that's basic yet entirely secure, low price options are available. For a system that's more advanced and equipped with extra automation features, we work with you to find a solution that's relevant to your needs and fairly priced.
How easy is it to operate a home security/automation system?
Extremely easy – even if you aren't technologically savvy. Interact with our security system toolkit demos to see how intuitive Spectracom-installed systems are. [maxbutton id="4"]
How do I control my home or business's security and automation system remotely?
If you want to control the functionality of your Spectracom-installed equipment on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop, Honeywell offers software called Total Home Connect 2.0 that makes this possible. You can demo it here. After you request a free quote and consultation from Spectracom, we'll tell you what options you have. We'll also tell you the benefits of Total Home Connect 2.0. Use your smartphone to check up on your kids when they arrive home from school, monitor your vacation home that's states or continents away, or make sure service teams like cleaning crews are carrying out the duties you requested. Also lock doors, arm/disarm your system, and control temperature and lighting – from wherever you are! These abilities are part of what Spectracom refers to as total home control. [maxbutton id="4"]
Who is my main source of contact after Spectracom installs my new security system?
After we install your security and automation system, Guardian's 24/7 monitoring center becomes your main source of contact. However, after you become a Spectracom customer, we're always here for you. So if you ever have any questions or concerns, feel free to give us a call at 1-866-270-8700. For questions related to Guardian's services, please see below. [maxbutton id="4"]
Guardian Monitoring Center FAQs*
I want to eliminate my telephone landline. Can my security system work without a landline?
Digital Cellular Protection is a service that can be utilized by your security system to communicate as a primary form of communication or as a backup to your provider in case the phone service fails. The cost of Digital Cellular Protection is less than your monthly phone charge and communicates through cellular technology. [maxbutton id="4"] I want to change phone providers. Will my security system work? Although security systems work effectively with many providers, some systems do not work with specific providers. Check with your new provider to confirm that their service is compatible with security systems prior to making the change. After you have changed services, be sure to test your security system before the telephone technician leaves to confirm that the security system is communicating. Digital Cellular Protection is a service that can be utilized by your security system to communicate as a primary form of communication or as a backup to your phone provider in case the phone service fails. [maxbutton id="4"]
- Do you have power? If your power is out, your backup battery will power your system for approximately 4-8 hours, depending on your panel and battery life. If your panel continues to display "Low Battery," your battery may need to be replaced.
- If you have power, locate the outlet that powers the security system control panel.
- Be sure the transformer is plugged securely into this outlet.
- Test the outlet for power by plugging in another appliance where the current system is plugged in.
- If the outlet is not working, check the circuit breaker. Be sure the outlet is not a switched outlet with the switch turned off or that it is not a GFI (Ground Fault Indicator) outlet that has tripped.
- If you have power at the outlet and your control panel still displays "AC Power Failure" or "Low Battery", call repair service at 1-866-270-8700.
- Spectracom can add special instructions to your account for the period that you will be away. Just call 1-866-270-8700. You may consider the following items before contacting Spectracom.
- When will you leave and return?
- Where would you like us to call you?
- Who will have a key to your home? (In the event that the police need access to respond to an alarm.)
- Will someone be staying in your home while you are away? (Be sure they have a temporary code and password.)
How do I test my security system?
As a reference, your last system test date now appears on your personalized Customer Care Dashboard. Your system type may also be indicated. If your system type is indicated, use the test instructions below that match your system type. Remember: it is important to test your system once a month, anytime phone work has been done on your system, or one week prior to vacation. Easy Steps to Testing the Communication of Your System If you do not wish to log in and do not know your system type, follow these test instructions:
- Please have your password ready and call Spectracom at 1-866-270-8700.
- Give your name, address, and password, and state that you would like to test your security system.
- Guardian will put your system in a "TEST" mode so the police are not dispatched while you are testing.
- Arm your system using an "INSTANT" arming mode to avoid your Entry/Exit Delay time.
- Activate your security system by simply opening a protected door or window, or walk through a motion detector area.
- Your siren will sound. Allow it to sound for a full 30 seconds.
- Turn your system off as usual. You can use this time to test your panic buttons or emergency signals.
- Hang up your phone. Your phone line will be dead while your security system is communicating with Guardian's Central Station.
- When your dial tone returns, call Central Station and confirm that they have received your signals.
- Reset your keypad.
- After completing the test, ask your representative to take your system off "TEST" to resume 24-hour monitoring.
- Investigate openings displayed on your keypad as open zone numbers.
- Every security system has a button to press that describes the status of your security system. This status information will help you to troubleshoot your system. Locate the status button in your user manual. To access your user manual visit your personalized online Customer Care Dashboard.
- If you are unable to identify the open zone, walk through your home to check for open doors or windows. Close the protected doors or windows to arm your system.
* FAQs taken directly from Guardian's website.